Friday, February 25, 2011

February Book Review



Half Broke Horses by: Jeannette Walls

was a fantastic book!


It was a prequel of sorts to another great book, The Glass Castle.

Half Broke Horses told the story of Lily a dynamic, firey, independent woman.

The story lead you through her life's adventure be they triumph's or failures.
Immediately I was invested in Lily and wanted her character to win. The author gives you glimpses of history as she intertwines Lily's story with historical happenings.
The story follows her from adolesence to womanhood and sets the stage for her daughter's story to be told in The Glass Castle . I could not put this book down.
VERDICT: I highly recommend this book!!

And that brings us to A Million Little Pieces, by: James Frey
I struggled from the beginning to get interested in this book. The story is one that appealed to me, an addict in the depth of his sickness and his internal struggle to rise above himself and get sober.
But the authors writing style was not one that I could get past. He rambled for pages without really saying anything at all. And maybe that is how an addict's brain works, i really don't know, but I found it boring.
In the end I could not force myself to finish this book and believe me, I TRIED!
Normally I am not a quitter but back to the library this one went, I wrote the ending in my own head, he got sober and lived happily ever after.
VERDICT: SKIP THIS ONE




No comments:

Post a Comment