Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Review

I have fallen a little off the bandwagon with my "two books a month" New Year's Resolution.

I think I made it to June (and in my book that's pretty good)

I'm trying to get back on track, since all schedules and goals flew out the window of Summer.

In July for book club we read The Help by: Kathryn Stockett



I know this book is pretty popular right now especially since the movie just came out. So, here is the truth, it is a LOOONG book, like over 400 pages.


Normally I wouldn't even try and conquer such a lengthy read but I try extra hard for book club.


This book was really hard for me to get into, the first fifty pages or so were kinda slow. BUT, just keep reading because it does get better. By the time I was a fourth a way through I couln't put it down.


It is set in the heart of the civil rights movement. The story is told from the point of view of Skeeter, the main character, and follows her on her journey to fight the standards of the world she lives in. She was raised by a black maid who she loved dearly and yet she feels compelled to tell the story of "the help" in an effort to expose the truth.


The book had it all. Characters you love, characters you hate.


A love story.


A torrid mother/ daughter relationship.


It chronicles the journey of a girls discovery that her childhood friends and her no longer share things in common and the dissolution of their friendship.


Civil rights drama.


This book kept me wanting more and when it was over it left me wanting more.


It is a MUST READ!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment