Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Challenges

So, a very good friend of mind called me yesterday to ask if I would do something for her that has rocked me to my core. She is a college professor and she asked me to some and speak to her class on how suicide has affected me and my family.

Pause...Deep Breath...

WOW! I thought, she totally OVERestimates my ability to not have a nervous breakdown in front of her class, can I really help this group of aspiring counselors learn something that can help them to someday help others? I called my husband, sister and best friend for advice and much needed guidance, of course they weren't much help, with the exception of my sister who said, You have to do it.

Really? You think I can? So after much debate I called my "friend" (just kidding, I LOVE Her to pieces) and told her yes. 29 Hours til then...lets see how many times I change my mind between now and then.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You didn't call me how rude. However I understand how difficult that it is for you to get up and talk about this and how emotional it is. I agree however you need to do it. There is so much awareness about so many things in this world that they push in schools, suicide isn't one of them. You never really know how close people can be to it, because you don't think anyone will get to that point. Denise I still cry when talking about it to people, and only certain ones really know how much it has hurt for this to happen after 3 years of not speaking. You will do great, and I am here for you. Raising awareness and letting people understand the affect of the choice that is made needs to be done. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise... so sorry it took me so long to get back to you... (from my shellac post) I just saw your comment this morning... I live in Iowa... I see that you are in Texas.. bummer... but I'm sure if you called around someone would carry the shellac? good luck!
    btw.. good luck with your speech. ;-)

    ReplyDelete